ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How you mic up a "cajon"????  (Read 10871 times)

Dan Brown

• http://www.reachcomm.net
Re: How you mic up a "cajon"????
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 11:16:41 PM »

David Bedrack wrote on Fri, 05 December 2008 10:10

"..... and we play bass, keyboards  and cajon with two cymbals"

GULP....  and.....WTH ...... is a "Cajon"??

I ran a google search  and found everything about it and how Paco'e Luzia introduced it to the spanish flamenco back in the 70's ,etc.

I allways thought those were just wood boxes where the flamenco handclappers sat and played with theyr hands here and there without realizing that they were a rather "complex and versatile " instrument, developed by the african slaves in Peru.

Fine so far.

But, how  shall I mic that thing and what  microphone will be best suited, I still have no clue.

Still have a week to go and figure out how to handle that thing. Your kind help will be greatly appreciated.

The player, BTW is a fine drummer and percussionist I know very well.

david b.

I personally like to use a condensor(my favorite is a Senn. ME64/K6) on the front and a Beyer M88/M69 in the back hole.

I do not like the sound of a "kick mic" in the back.  It is just to hyped.

The Perc player I normally work with has "snares" on the inside of his so this is usually slightly different.

HTH

db

David Bedrack

Re: Yidishe cajon
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2008, 05:18:20 PM »

So the gig is over. It was a high  quality performance. The musicians were good pros, so I didn't have to bother with mic technique or stuff like that.

The cajon was made by someone in Jerusalem and  seemed to be well built. The player had a high hat and two other cymbals, one thin crash and the other ride crash. I miced the cajon with a 451E on the front to capture the snare sound and a plain 58 at the back, not looking into the hole. It sounded crisp and fat.

Good and interesting music, good players, not a single glitch in the sound- I cannot ask for more.

The pic was taken during sound check/last rehearsal, when phone calls were  still alllowed Confused

Thanks to all for the good advice.

index.php/fa/19607/0/

David B.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.