ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LA325 replacements  (Read 2655 times)

Derrick McDonald

LA325 replacements
« on: December 09, 2008, 08:30:26 PM »

I wanna juice up my tops in my club's system in the future, to provide better coverage and just have a little more rig for the gig.
Right now, (1) LA325 per side
I'm thinking I need two boxes to side, what would you suggest?
Another LA325 per side?
Thanks

Duncan McLennan

Re: LA325 replacements
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 08:40:37 PM »

I've not used the 325, but suspect they probably don't array all that well.

I would be more inclined to pick up four 460s.
dcm
Waterloo & London, Ontario

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 09:10:53 AM »

LA325's are not an arrayable loudspeaker. As a former support person for EAW, I have seen all too many issues of people trying to array LA325's with horrible results. It is a case of where more is not better.

If the LA's aren't bi-amped, I would consider running them that way, applying the DSP settings from EAW's website, and powering them properly (around 1.5X the rated power is the most I would recommend on those, due to the internal electronics of the loudspeakers). If these work fine for the front coverage, but you need some smaller fills, you can probably find a smaller 2-way or 3-way to cover the side areas.

LA460's are okay...they will give you the means to array, but compared to the LA325, I believe the LA325 is the better sounding enclosure.

The other option would be to find a more capable horn loaded arrayable loudspeaker, such as a used KF650 or similar type from another manufacturer, getting two per side, arrayed properly. Being a club, and assuming the system is installed,  you may also be able to find a medium format installation 3-way (EAW ASe series for example, these show up used alot and they perform on par with the KF650's), which would save you some money as well and give you plenty of options for installation.

Derrick McDonald

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 05:54:05 PM »

I kinda figured the la325's weren't arrayable.  In reality, I need a little more coverage on the sides, but my main problem is the bermuda triangle that happens in front of the stage.  Since my club doesnt have barricades to keep the audience back, they're right up on the stage and I always get the question, "why cant i hear the vocals?" I respond, where are you standing, and I tell them they cant hear the vocals because they're not in the speakers coverage field.
I also feel that the nights when we're really packed that the LA325's run out of gas, this can be noticed with GE's because they're pushing the board and the DSP's limiters are kickin in.  We are bi-amped and I believe it's set up properly (probably have to double check that), but I want to be able to provide a better coverage and be able to do maybe 115db of clean sound to 550 people if need be.
Perhaps puttin a yamaha club series wedge on each side as a front fill is my solution.  
Thoughts?

Duncan McLennan

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 06:44:04 PM »

Or a pair of LA212s, which would probably walk all over the Yammies, and keep the look consistent.

I bet proper in-fill would make a HUGE difference.  Is flying an option?  A pair of 12+2 cabinets right over the singers head point down at the front row might be another option too.
dcm
Waterloo & London, Ontario

Josh Billings

• http://www.mindboxmedia.com/soundsystem
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 02:17:07 AM »

Yeah i would use the LA325s as main and Bi-Amping is really great on these cabs (Used to own them). Some fills like LA212s to cover the front rows.

I'm a big fan of the LA325s but we needed more volume and i went with Community SLS960s...don't sound as good as the LA325s though

-Josh
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 19 queries.