ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How you mic up a "cajon"????  (Read 10873 times)

David Bedrack

How you mic up a "cajon"????
« on: December 05, 2008, 11:10:18 AM »

"..... and we play bass, keyboards  and cajon with two cymbals"

GULP....  and.....WTH ...... is a "Cajon"??

I ran a google search  and found everything about it and how Paco'e Luzia introduced it to the spanish flamenco back in the 70's ,etc.

I allways thought those were just wood boxes where the flamenco handclappers sat and played with theyr hands here and there without realizing that they were a rather "complex and versatile " instrument, developed by the african slaves in Peru.

Fine so far.

But, how  shall I mic that thing and what  microphone will be best suited, I still have no clue.

Still have a week to go and figure out how to handle that thing. Your kind help will be greatly appreciated.

The player, BTW is a fine drummer and percussionist I know very well.

david b.

Gabe Nahshon

Re: How you mic up a "cajon"????
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 11:30:11 AM »

With the latin bands I've worked with, most want, believe it or not, an sm58 on a short desk stand.  I've also used an m88 which obviously has a little more thump.  It's a wood box with a hole in the back that, when thumped with the hand, makes a kick drum like sound (just the thud part, not the click).

Gabe

Rick Stansby

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 11:36:38 AM »

Gabe Nahshon wrote on Fri, 05 December 2008 08:30

With the latin bands I've worked with, most want, believe it or not, an sm58 on a short desk stand.  I've also used an m88 which obviously has a little more thump.  It's a wood box with a hole in the back that, when thumped with the hand, makes a kick drum like sound (just the thud part, not the click).

Gabe

We use a kick drum mic by the hole and a 57 in front.  I just think of it as a kick and a snare.  The front head gives slap, and the hole gives thump.

P.S. We've done sound a couple times for a wonderful band called Locura from the bay area.  Their Cajon player brings a D6 for the hole and a 57 (IIRC) for the front.  It sounds amazing.  When you get that thing really thumping she gets a big smile on her face.  Some other bands have just asked for a 57 or 58 (by the hole or in the hole like a tuba) but I get the feeling they are just asking for what they know, and they haven't had a lot of experience with different mics.
Rick

Rick Stansby

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 11:44:37 AM »

David Bedrack wrote on Fri, 05 December 2008 08:10

"..... and we play bass, keyboards  and cajon with two cymbals"

GULP....  and.....WTH ...... is a "Cajon"??

I ran a google search  and found everything about it and how Paco'e Luzia introduced it to the spanish flamenco back in the 70's ,etc.

I allways thought those were just wood boxes where the flamenco handclappers sat and played with theyr hands here and there without realizing that they were a rather "complex and versatile " instrument, developed by the african slaves in Peru.

Fine so far.

But, how  shall I mic that thing and what  microphone will be best suited, I still have no clue.

Still have a week to go and figure out how to handle that thing. Your kind help will be greatly appreciated.

The player, BTW is a fine drummer and percussionist I know very well.

david b.

Try to resist the urge to make the obligatory joke along the lines of "Look at the cajones (sp?) on that percusionist".  They never seem to find that one to be very funny.
Laughing
Rick

David Bedrack

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 11:51:06 AM »

Thanks guys, toda Gabe.

It is not something that will not let me sleep  at night, but , well, even at my advanced age there are still a few things to learn.

Cajones..... go figure.... Confused NOT "cojones", of course!!

David

Andrew (A.J.) McGlynn

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 12:00:03 PM »

I was at a show last month where they had one and I talked to the girl who played it after and asked how they had it miked cause it sounded amazing. She said they had a beta91 in it. Which made since to me. You get the low end kick sound but will also get the higher end as well. I haven't actually tried it but it did sound really nice.
A.J. McGlynn, Technical Director
Grace Church
Erie, PA

charles clark

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 12:11:45 PM »

I have used a kick mic on the hole and an SM57 up front with good results also.

Mark Meagher

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 12:16:19 PM »

A.J. McGlynn wrote on Fri, 05 December 2008 12:00

I was at a show last month where they had one and I talked to the girl who played it after and asked how they had it miked cause it sounded amazing. She said they had a beta91 in it. Which made since to me. You get the low end kick sound but will also get the higher end as well. I haven't actually tried it but it did sound really nice.

Yes, Beta 91 inside on the floor always. Select another mic of choice for the hole to add dimension. AT AE2500 works really well in the hole with the Beta 91 on the floor.

Life isn't a destination, it's a trip. Just keep your hands and feet inside the ride.

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 12:49:32 PM »

I normally do a D6 at the hole, and an SM91 inside of the drum.

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Dave Unger

• http://folksoundguy.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »

The search function is your friend:

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/367967/473/?srch =cajon#msg_367967
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler." - Albert Einstein
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.