ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Madison MAP215 reviews? are these any good?  (Read 13137 times)

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
Re: Madison MAP215 reviews? are these any good?
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 05:36:52 PM »

Given my choice between the two I would definitely take the EV's. At least the name is recognizable and you don't have to scour the chinese countryside to get parts. There are certainly other options as well.
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

Bob Leonard

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 06:05:42 PM »

Jeff Babcock wrote on Wed, 19 November 2008 10:50

Daniel Nickleski wrote on Tue, 18 November 2008 14:03

Jeff Babcock wrote on Tue, 18 November 2008 10:19

Evan Hunter wrote on Tue, 18 November 2008 10:04

Ev Eliminators seem to have mixed reviews. Some people LOVE them other say they are just alright.

The ones who LOVE them just don't know any better. Razz

I beg to differ. For the point I think they are the best boxes you can get. Coming from a guy who has X Array and QRX I do know "better" and still feel it is the best warrior box you can buy. Of course it takes good equipment before the speakers to make the speakers perform well. If you are not looking to meet riders and if your only looking to do bars/ small clubs then the EV's will work great for you.

Daniel,
I don't want to get into an argument about something subjective like that with you, but I stand by my thoughts.  

When I said "those who LOVE them" I was referring to newbs who might think they are the greatest thing ever since they have no better frame of reference.

I like most of EV's products, but the Eliminator subs are pretty much useless as a sub IMHO. Users blowing them up trying to get the output they are after is well documented.  The 15" single and double tops are OK, certainly nothing special, and quite large IMHO considering their output.  There is nothing that makes them stand out to me.  In fact there is little in that price range that I would normally even recommend to end users.  IMO if you can't afford something reasonably good then buy used quality gear.  There is 20 year old pro gear that sounds better than this stuff.

I guess Guitar Center would never hire me as I'd never sell 90% of the gear they carry.

The whole Eliminator line is dog shit. I loaned my Bag End side fills to a band and then had to borrow speakers for my own gig the next week. I ended up with Eliminators which I thought might do the job but low and behold they sounded like shit, were built like shit and couldn't do the same job I was doing with 12 year old Bag End TA15s. Save your money and pass on all the MI crap. You'll be much happier in the long run that you did.
The roar of the grease paint, the smell of the crowd.

Daniel Nickleski

• http://www.soundworkspro.com
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 10:42:23 PM »

Bob Leonard wrote on Wed, 19 November 2008 17:05

Jeff Babcock wrote on Wed, 19 November 2008 10:50

Daniel Nickleski wrote on Tue, 18 November 2008 14:03

Jeff Babcock wrote on Tue, 18 November 2008 10:19

Evan Hunter wrote on Tue, 18 November 2008 10:04

Ev Eliminators seem to have mixed reviews. Some people LOVE them other say they are just alright.

The ones who LOVE them just don't know any better. Razz

I beg to differ. For the point I think they are the best boxes you can get. Coming from a guy who has X Array and QRX I do know "better" and still feel it is the best warrior box you can buy. Of course it takes good equipment before the speakers to make the speakers perform well. If you are not looking to meet riders and if your only looking to do bars/ small clubs then the EV's will work great for you.

Daniel,
I don't want to get into an argument about something subjective like that with you, but I stand by my thoughts.  

When I said "those who LOVE them" I was referring to newbs who might think they are the greatest thing ever since they have no better frame of reference.

I like most of EV's products, but the Eliminator subs are pretty much useless as a sub IMHO. Users blowing them up trying to get the output they are after is well documented.  The 15" single and double tops are OK, certainly nothing special, and quite large IMHO considering their output.  There is nothing that makes them stand out to me.  In fact there is little in that price range that I would normally even recommend to end users.  IMO if you can't afford something reasonably good then buy used quality gear.  There is 20 year old pro gear that sounds better than this stuff.

I guess Guitar Center would never hire me as I'd never sell 90% of the gear they carry.

The whole Eliminator line is dog shit. I loaned my Bag End side fills to a band and then had to borrow speakers for my own gig the next week. I ended up with Eliminators which I thought might do the job but low and behold they sounded like shit, were built like shit and couldn't do the same job I was doing with 12 year old Bag End TA15s. Save your money and pass on all the MI crap. You'll be much happier in the long run that you did.

Don't know what series of the Elim cabs you have, but I have had the newer (ii) series for around 4 years and having seen over 500 shows they still are holding up great. For a BAR BAND RIG they are one of the best sounding speakers you can get IMO. I personally would never thing of taking speaker cabs that cost more than $600 into a bar though. A. Everyone is drunk and wouldn't know the difference between an Elim and Meyer and B. there is no money in that market for something better. The op asked for an opinion on the Elim and the Madison so I am guessing he is in the bar band/ DJ market. Based on that market I think the Elims are a good pick.
Daniel Nickleski
soundworksdan@mac.com

David Hancock-Taylor

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 01:36:28 AM »

Brett,

Oddly enough I've had the chance to A/B a similar scenario to what you're looking at. When I first entered the DJ world I bought a pair of Madison MAP115 and the 18 inch subs to match. The subs were great for what they were, but the tops required a lot of eq to get what I would deem a usable sound out of them. Not long after a friend of mine bought a pair of EV Eliminator's and we A/B'ed them in a few different places (mainly because I needed that much rig). The difference was huge! The EV's were way better, or so I thought, until I got my hands on some Yorkville E-series stuff. Which put both of those lines to shame.

It seems like there are much better choices out there whether new or used than either of these cabs. Keep looking because I've never looked back after unloading those Madisons and if you're on this site, you're probably well aware of what is pro and what isn't.
David H-T
Metro Productions-Lighting & Stage

Patrick Richards

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 11:38:44 AM »

Best for the New Year,

I can give you a bit more personal insight to the Madison Speaker question. The three rules to purchasing these are application, application, and application.

IF you're looking at Madison, I would suggest the M3-215. The difference is the dual 6.5 mids. They simply sound much better. In my humble opinion, they keep the upper mids more where they should be and allow the 15's to soften-up and support the lower end freqs. I bought these more out of curiosity than anything else. I've owned JBL, Peavy, and some EV. They get used for Country and Southern Rock venues. They do take some EQ-ing, but once you get them dialed in, they are pretty decent sounding rigs. I have the matching subs as well. They provide adequate, but not heavy chest thumping bottom end for these applications. I've run these for a couple of pretty hefty jobs that I thought were really on the edge, but they performed well. I am using the QSC 2450's that came with them. If you're on a budget, and play to some upper limit, medium size rooms, these could be a viable option for you. They're tough with the exception of a slightly protruding toggle switch mounted on the rear panel. I made a protective piece to cover it. It's a wreck waiting to happen. No problems and lots of use. The best system I've ever owned, no. The best value for the sound? I'm leaning towards, I think so.

Pat                
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.