ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Looking for Small Subs  (Read 3192 times)

Justin Lee

Newbie Looking for Small Subs
« on: October 24, 2008, 09:00:51 PM »

First off, I'm new, but I did search the forums, and general consenus I found was TH Mini or Growlers, but they're a bit out of my budget.  There's a lot of threads on small subs, but few are small enough for what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a pair of subs that'll fit in the back of my car (Volvo S40).  Max dimension for each is I think (20*21*25) - and smaller is better (easier to maneuver into car).  Weight not too much of an issue, although obviously lighter is better.  I'd like to have pole mounts.

Looking for passive, although if I find fairly cheap actives I might run those.  Running pair off a PLX3002.

Budget is ideally less than 500 (shipped) apiece, although I can stretch that.  I'm buying one at a time, so I can't buy one 1k sub and save for another one - 500 is a lot for me.  I love used stuff.

I was going to pick up a pair of JBL MP418s, but they're all of 3 inches too big in two dimensions.

Also have eliminated (based on size):
Yorkville YX18S, A215S, LS608, JE26B, and UCS1
Peavey PV118 and SP118
Nady PSW15
Growler
JBL MR518S

Leaves me with Yamaha SW115V, JBL JRX118S (which I'm going to go look at this weekend to see if it fits).

Why are there so few passive single 15's?  I've found the Yamaha SW115V, and the JBL VRX915s (too expensive).  And that's it.  There seem to be plenty of active 15's, but I just bought this amp...

Any suggestions?

Thanks, and sorry for another "help my choose a sub" thread.

Justin

Rob Timmerman

Re: Newbie Looking for Small Subs
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 09:21:33 PM »

EAW has a couple boxes that might fit your application, although I don't think they're in your price range new.  EV also has one or 2 that might do what you want.  I doubt you'll find many boxes in this size range with pole sockets, as the subs are just too small and light to safely support a top box.

Speaking of top boxes, what are you using?  And how loud/low do you expect/need this sub to go?

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 09:26:07 PM »

What is the rest of your system? Does it fit into the car also?

With a budget like that and a limit on the size, there are going to be some limitations on performance also.  What type work do you intend it to do?

You might look into some cutome built subs that would give you the size you want, and you can put as good a driver in it as you can afford.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Justin Lee

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 09:40:31 PM »

Thanks for replies.

Current system is a pair of Behringer Eurolive B1020s (yes I know they suck, they're the next thing to upgrade).  They're small and they work (and I got them fairly cheap off Craigslist).

Amps are QSC 3500 (old old old + heavy but it works well) and PLX3002.

PLX3002 is on the way right now, it's replacing an old EX1600.

Using a DBX 234XL (don't know why I got the 234, coulda got the 223 but oh well).

Furman power conditioner in the mail right now.

Both amps + power conditioner + DBX go into a SKB rolling 6u rack (also on the way).

I was actually using two custom built subs that I built, each with two EHQS 12 in isobaric setup.  Only one fits in my car at a time, so I'd either have to take two trips.  They're also somewhat unreliable, and I think one of them fried last time I uesd it.  I'm trying to replace these.

Right now the Behringers fit in the trunk with probably all the electronic stuff (amps/crossover/conditioner).

I actually found some EAW in my price range ( http://cgi.ebay.com/EAW-SB150zP-Black-15-Subwoofer_W0QQitemZ 110267157254QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116) but no pole mount.  Do 15's just generally not have pole mounts (too light)?

This is for mostly smallish house parties (50-200 people) although I might start gigging it out if I find the time.  I don't need super low, ideally mid-low 40's.  Loudness, I have no idea - I'm sure pretty much anything can keep up with my tops, but I plan on upgrading those too.

Thanks!

Justin

Grant Conklin

• http://www.G-ForceProAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 10:54:19 PM »

Hello Justin-
Although I haven't used them, the DB Tech Sub 12 (powered) and Arena SW12 (passive) are both roughly $660.  

AT 14x20x20 and 42 pounds, The Sub 12 is actually small enough to be checked luggage on an airplane without penalty if you plan the packaging well and are willing to take the risk.  

http://www.dbtechnologies.com/mod_produkte.cfm?pgid=1

Grant
Dealer for Fulcrum-Acoustic, JTR, Yorkville, VTC, FBT, Xilica, Hosa, Gator Cases, and On Stage Stands.
www.G-ForceProAudio.com

Justin Lee

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 12:01:04 AM »

Mike: email sent  Razz

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 01:10:54 AM »

Have you looked at the Yorkville LS608?

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Justin Lee

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 01:12:33 AM »

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Fri, 24 October 2008 22:10

Have you looked at the Yorkville LS608?

Evan

Yep, about 3 inches too big.  Very sad  Confused

Tim Padrick

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 02:11:43 AM »

This likely won't fit, but: http://www.outlinearray.com/images/stories/prodotti/multipur pose_series/KANGURO_1215_NET_SP.pdf

Justin Lee

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 03:02:37 AM »

Tim Padrick wrote on Fri, 24 October 2008 23:11

This likely won't fit, but:  http://www.outlinearray.com/images/stories/prodotti/multipur pose_series/KANGURO_1215_NET_SP.pdf

Actually would fit, but it's about five times my budget  Very Happy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.