ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Board for Live and Recording  (Read 9580 times)

Todd Huffines

Re: Board for Live and Recording
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 06:20:44 PM »

An earlier post mentioned problems with the studiolive.   I have owned one for two years now, and I am very pleased.  I use a macbook pro with the board.  Presonus recommended using a mac with the board before I made my purchase.  They said other computers will work, but some get along with the board better than others.  My computer "sees" the board as a sound card.  They are closely connected and the mac makes for less variables.  But of course when apple updated their software, I waited 6 months before upgrading the computer.  Wanted to let all the bugs get worked out.

But back on topic, I have found the board to be easy to learn (coming from analog) I find the whole setup to be easy to use.  It records at 48K max. 

I would purchase it again tomorrow if I had it to do over.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 11:30:03 PM »

Mackie has the Onyx-I series now that have built in firewire as standard. Routing on the firewire I/O is also much more flexible than it was on the original Onyx series. For live use it's a very nice little board, on par with a GL2400-16 less the matrix. I think the 1640i goes for around $1500.

If you can up your budget a bit, another great option while remaining analog is the Allen & Heath ZED R16, which like the Mackie has built in firewire. Unlike the Mackie it is a much more recording oriented board with a ton of midi features, even more flexible routing on the firewire interface, and two bands of fully parametric EQ in addition to the fixed high and low shelving. The trade off is you only get four aux sends, two of which are fixed post fader. Street is about $2000.

I've had an Onyx 1640 with Firewire in live use since the board was first made available. I added the firewire option and have never had a regret or a problem. Hands down I'll have to say it's a better board than any Zed series board I've had my hands on. I think the sound of the board, flexibility and routing to be superior in almost every way.

For recording purposes the newer 1640 has better features than my first release model. However, I use Cubase 5 and any lack of features you may think you need in the board are more than compensated for within the Cubase package. What I really enjoy is being able to record 16 channels, work each channel independently, apply as many effects as I desire to each channel and monitor the mix with almost zero (0) latency. The recordings are pristine.

This board will be retired soon and placed into full time recording / backup use. for comparison purposes and after a very long search I have found only two (2) boards I am willing to replace it with, an LS-9 16 or APB Pro House Rack. I have opted for the APB as the only board I have found in this size and format that has a noticible better sound quality. 
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 11:17:56 AM »

Mike,

I would not be quick to believe that noise floor is a real problem in any modern mixing console. Sound quality, EQ capability, in a recording context... probably. But noise floor? I don't think so. Maybe by 3dB. You'd do better to point an air conditioner at the desk.

+1  Noise floor "should" be similar, despite what advertising may lead you to believe.

EQ will be voiced differently... for live consoles I generally used narrower Qs for the different problems encountered between working in live spaces, and in reasonably isolated studios.

Routing features for live and recording, have different needs regarding general console traffic organization. While several companies like to pretend they make one console that meets all needs we are not there yet (FWIW digital could do this easier than analog).

A/H has a promising architecture where sub master faders can be flipped for recording or live, but EQ can still only be voiced for one or the other (or neither).

Long story short, I wouldn't obsess about noise, look for a feature set that covers your needs both live and recording. Perhaps budget for an external dedicated EQ to cover whatever the console doesn't do well.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Gary A. Perrett

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 10:20:15 PM »

I have to tell ya, after some problems, and some issues I have been using the Studiolive for about 6 month...Even after those issues I do like the quality of the audio of this unit.

The Eq's are very responsive and getting the sound I want is pretty darn easy. I find the dynamics and sound quality refreshing.

Recording tracks to Capture is easy, and you can choose pre or post Eq and dynamics.

You can dump those into Studio One, and you have a full featured drag and drop (read that easy to use) unlimited track DAW... and it sounds GOOD! Studio One is a very reasonable cost DAW, and PRO offers mastering suites with loads of easy functional drag and drop tools and plugins that come bundled with the software.

I was able to get some pretty amazing recordings with just the Studiolive and Capture (which comes with the unit)

The PC platform does provide for a more challenging interface, but does work...it's important to make sure that when the firewire is connected that the computer doesn't have any shutdown or other issues as the control of the clock transfers to the recording platform, in this case my laptop, and if it is shut down, as the link is lost, the Studiolive WILL loose audio output... in the form of pops, with loss of audio.

I had given up on doing live recording... just too much BS and outboard equipment to make it happen. The Studiolive makes it so damn easy I am once again fired up to do it. I can record the band with NO real additional effort on site, save the files, and mix them down easily. I have been able to sell these recordings back to the bands that have been pretty much blown away with the sound I have been able to realize, and I think it has a lot to do with the quality of sound of the studiolive.

Don't get me wrong... there are some VERY aggravating things about this platform... but where recording is concerned... this thing has me excited again....and if you are looking for affordability, you can record 18 full featured tracks at once, and mix down UNLIMITED tracks and it can all be had for under $2000 (less computer and firewire interface... which I added for about $600.. Lenova/firewire card)

I have even been bringing this home and using it as a recording studio and the results have been amazing.

This is not to say that the other mixers available won't be good also, but simply a response from my perspective, one who has had analog studios in the past...and had to work WAY too hard to get the results I got with very little effort, and time.

Todd Huffines

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 10:36:20 PM »

I have to tell ya, after some problems, and some issues I have been using the Studiolive for about 6 month...Even after those issues I do like the quality of the audio of this unit.

The Eq's are very responsive and getting the sound I want is pretty darn easy. I find the dynamics and sound quality refreshing.

Recording tracks to Capture is easy, and you can choose pre or post Eq and dynamics.

You can dump those into Studio One, and you have a full featured drag and drop (read that easy to use) unlimited track DAW... and it sounds GOOD! Studio One is a very reasonable cost DAW, and PRO offers mastering suites with loads of easy functional drag and drop tools and plugins that come bundled with the software.

I was able to get some pretty amazing recordings with just the Studiolive and Capture (which comes with the unit)

The PC platform does provide for a more challenging interface, but does work...it's important to make sure that when the firewire is connected that the computer doesn't have any shutdown or other issues as the control of the clock transfers to the recording platform, in this case my laptop, and if it is shut down, as the link is lost, the Studiolive WILL loose audio output... in the form of pops, with loss of audio.

I had given up on doing live recording... just too much BS and outboard equipment to make it happen. The Studiolive makes it so damn easy I am once again fired up to do it. I can record the band with NO real additional effort on site, save the files, and mix them down easily. I have been able to sell these recordings back to the bands that have been pretty much blown away with the sound I have been able to realize, and I think it has a lot to do with the quality of sound of the studiolive.

Don't get me wrong... there are some VERY aggravating things about this platform... but where recording is concerned... this thing has me excited again....and if you are looking for affordability, you can record 18 full featured tracks at once, and mix down UNLIMITED tracks and it can all be had for under $2000 (less computer and firewire interface... which I added for about $600.. Lenova/firewire card)

I have even been bringing this home and using it as a recording studio and the results have been amazing.

This is not to say that the other mixers available won't be good also, but simply a response from my perspective, one who has had analog studios in the past...and had to work WAY too hard to get the results I got with very little effort, and time.
G

+1,

Robbie Anderson

• Anderson Pro Audio
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 01:54:14 PM »

Another +1 for the Studiolive.  I bought my first one a little under a year ago as more of an experiment.  Loved it so much due to all the features, ease of use, and no outboard gear, I bought another one so I could link them together and have 32 channels when I need it.

Also, I had a GL2400, Onyx 1640 with the firewire card, and MixWizV3 that have since all been sold along with all my rack gear.  I went from having two and half 3' racks of gear, 3 different consoles depending on my mood, down to two simple to use digital consoles.

Giving a band an mp3 of their performance at the end of the evening is a big plus, also recording the individual channels and mixing it down later at my house is nice.  Plus, for gigs where you can't have the console in an optimal mixing position, weddings, venues designed by wait staff, etc, putting the board on stage (also cuts the snake out of the equation) and mixing the entire show from an iPad is huge plus for me.  That also comes in very handy ringing out monitors by yourself.

Just my two cents.  I'm very happy with console and have never had any of the problems other people seem to have.  I'm on the Studiolive forums a lot and it seems most all of the problems stem from firewire issues and people that are excellent sound techs, but not so good computer people.  You're kinda crossing from one world into another there.  All the Apple people like Todd had mentioned earlier don't seem to have any of the problems.  I'm guessing PreSonus is an Apple shop   :)
http://www.andersonproaudio.com
"Your Ticket to Great Live Sound"

Todd Huffines

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 11:15:02 PM »

Another +1 for the Studiolive.  I bought my first one a little under a year ago as more of an experiment.  Loved it so much due to all the features, ease of use, and no outboard gear, I bought another one so I could link them together and have 32 channels when I need it.

Also, I had a GL2400, Onyx 1640 with the firewire card, and MixWizV3 that have since all been sold along with all my rack gear.  I went from having two and half 3' racks of gear, 3 different consoles depending on my mood, down to two simple to use digital consoles.

Giving a band an mp3 of their performance at the end of the evening is a big plus, also recording the individual channels and mixing it down later at my house is nice.  Plus, for gigs where you can't have the console in an optimal mixing position, weddings, venues designed by wait staff, etc, putting the board on stage (also cuts the snake out of the equation) and mixing the entire show from an iPad is huge plus for me.  That also comes in very handy ringing out monitors by yourself.

Just my two cents.  I'm very happy with console and have never had any of the problems other people seem to have.  I'm on the Studiolive forums a lot and it seems most all of the problems stem from firewire issues and people that are excellent sound techs, but not so good computer people.  You're kinda crossing from one world into another there.  All the Apple people like Todd had mentioned earlier don't seem to have any of the problems.  I'm guessing PreSonus is an Apple shop   :)

The clear reason that the apple work better with firewire and the studiolive is that there is the wide range of variables you have with PCs.  Apple has complete control of the hardware installed and the operating system.  There isn't a big change between systems. And when you call customer support for help with the occasional issue, they don't tell you to call the firewire or video card people, it is all in the same house.  There are 100s of combinations with operating systems, mother boards, firewire cards. etc.

Joe Gislason

• Selkirk Manitoba Canada
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 03:21:22 PM »

I went a different route for two reasons:  My inability to save, and my strong dislike of credit...

I bought two Presonus Firestudio Projects (One used to see if I would like the unit, then a few weeks later a new one) so I could have 16 channels of Independent recording.

Then I started shopping for a used board, with 16 minimum mic pre's and direct outs.  I found and purchased a used Soundcraft Spirit 16fx. 

My total cash output has been $1200, and once I get a short snake for running the direct outputs to the FS Project's I will be able to track Live, and when I get home I can go direct to the FS projects. 

At some point I would like to get a Presonus Studiolive 16:4:2 but for now, this rig will do me just fine, and it meets my requirements.
Can I get more Vuvuzela in my monitor?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 03:21:22 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.