ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 0=0=0=?  (Read 7029 times)

Regan Johnson

0=0=0=?
« on: February 26, 2011, 10:22:18 PM »

Ive asked quite a few engineers and never got the same answer twice.

If the meters on my console are hitting zero, shouldn't the meters on the eq's output be hitting zero as well, if the eq is flat.  Shouldn't "zero" be constant through the electronics if one isn't affecting the signal?

Alan Roberts

Re: 0=0=0=?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 11:01:52 PM »

If the meters on my console are hitting zero, shouldn't the meters on the eq's output be hitting zero as well, if the eq is flat.  Shouldn't "zero" be constant through the electronics if one isn't affecting the signal?

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,20.0.html

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 11:27:23 PM »

Yes..

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 12:10:18 AM »

Some equipment has -10dB/+4dB selector. I imagine the position of this switch would affect what the meter displays as "0".

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 01:18:17 AM »

Shouldn't "zero" be constant through the electronics if one isn't affecting the signal?
Yes..

JR

I guess it depends on how you read the phrase "Shouldn't "zero" be constant". If you read it to mean, "In a perfect world wouldn't zero be constant" then the answer is yes. If you read it as "With the difference in reference level between different types of gear can I be certain zero will be constant" then the answer is no.

Mac

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 09:46:26 AM »

Does "zero" on the meters represent 0VU, 0dBU, 0V, 0dBFS, 0dB relative to some reference value or what?  Are the meters all displaying peak levels, average levels or some mix?  Is the system set up as unity gain or set to have all devices clip at the same time or does it have some random gain structure?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 10:06:44 AM »

Does "zero" on the meters represent 0VU, 0dBU, 0V, 0dBFS, 0dB relative to some reference value or what?  Are the meters all displaying peak levels, average levels or some mix?  Is the system set up as unity gain or set to have all devices clip at the same time or does it have some random gain structure?
And a number of DSP's have the "0" point at the onset of limiting/compression.  So it may appear as if you are "runing out of gas" on the outputs, when you are just starting to get to limiting.

And they you also have to account for the "ballistics" of the meter movements (be it LED or analog). Some have a faster response time than others, so they appear to be saying different things.

A sinewave input will take the ballistics of the meters out of the equation.

Yes it "should" be nice and simple, but as with all things audio-it often is not.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Regan Johnson

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 09:05:25 PM »

Just took over the venue.  Before I start "really" adjusting the rig, I like to try to figure out what the last guy might have been aiming at as far as gain structure.  So far, no dice.  Output meters on the board hit +12 before the EQ or Comp hit -0- while the DSP barely hits -10 and the amps are close to limiting.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 09:17:50 PM »

Just took over the venue.  Before I start "really" adjusting the rig, I like to try to figure out what the last guy might have been aiming at as far as gain structure.  So far, no dice.  Output meters on the board hit +12 before the EQ or Comp hit -0- while the DSP barely hits -10 and the amps are close to limiting.

Before you start "really" adjusting the rig, you need to find out what those meters are referenced to. Those meter readings could easily be all the same audio level, or just as easily not.

Someone here might be able to help you with that if you actually posted what the gear is, and exactly how it's hooked up.

Mac

Regan Johnson

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 09:28:37 PM »

Before you start "really" adjusting the rig, you need to find out what those meters are referenced to. Those meter readings could easily be all the same audio level, or just as easily not.

Someone here might be able to help you with that if you actually posted what the gear is, and exactly how it's hooked up.

Mac

Verona 400 to Dbx 2231 to Dbx 166xl Dynacord dsp244 to Dynacord L2400

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 09:28:37 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.