ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to hook up my eaw subs???  (Read 12992 times)

Michael Webb

how to hook up my eaw subs???
« on: February 26, 2011, 06:50:17 PM »

:-[ trying to hook up eaw sb 750 zf using qsc rmx 2450 in bridge only the top speaker plays in both cabs pulled off back plate of cab and it uses all 4 wires i only have 2 in my speakon michael  270 445 1044 
michael l

Thomas Lamb

Re: how to hook up my eaw subs???
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 08:06:21 PM »

:-[ trying to hook up eaw sb 750 zf using qsc rmx 2450 in bridge only the top speaker plays in both cabs pulled off back plate of cab and it uses all 4 wires i only have 2 in my speakon michael  270 445 1044

NL4 Two Driver Subs:
Pin 1-   Driver 1 negative
Pin 1+   Driver 1 positive
Pin 2-   Driver 2 negative
Pin 2+   Driver 2 positive
Except DCS2, FR250z, LA128, LA128z, & SBX220
pin 2- = negative
pin 2+ = positive
pins 1-/+ = loop through

credit: EAW application support pages

Basically you are going to need to make a cable with +1 and +2 ,-1 and -2 tied together there are a couple other ways to do it as well but thats it. If you dont care about having the cabinet "STOCK" you could move the + and - 2 wires in line with + and - 1 wires.
T
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Michael Webb

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 10:33:59 PM »

NL4 Two Driver Subs:
pin 2- = negative
pin 2+ = positive
pins 1-/+ = loop through

Basically you are going to need to make a cable with +1 and +2 ,-1 and -2 tied together there are a couple other ways to do it as well but thats it. If you dont care about having the cabinet "STOCK" you could move the + and - 2 wires in line with + and - 1 wires.
T
  but what do i do on amp end it is qsc 2450 in bridge mode
michael l

don mcmeckan

• Vancouver Island B.C.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 11:47:25 PM »

but what do i do on amp end it is qsc 2450 in bridge mode
Michael, the two + lines on your cable go to positive on your banana plug.
The - lines go to minus on the banana plug.
Plug your banana plug into the two red binding posts on the amp ( ch 1 is positive ).     Enjoy Buckets of Bass!

Don

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 10:24:23 AM »

Michael, the two + lines on your cable go to positive on your banana plug.
The - lines go to minus on the banana plug.
Plug your banana plug into the two red binding posts on the amp ( ch 1 is positive ).     Enjoy Buckets of Bass!

Don
If you are in bridge mode the back of the amp will have directions showing you which speakon to plug into for bridge mode or which binding post to use typically both positives and they will will be labeled for proper phase.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Sheldon Harris

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 09:25:33 PM »

michael, save yourself all the trouble and guessing and get yourself a speak-on to banana cable. it should have one nl4 on one end and two banana plugs on the other with 4 conductors inside.
for bridge mode, select the correct dip switch on the back of the qsc (very important) i have seen guys make mistakes with the switches and they know what they are doing. put both banana plugs in the two red binding post outputs with the positive end into the positive end and negative into negative.

if you want to use the subs driven by both sides of the amp. simple select stereo or parallel on the amplifier and plug each banana plug into ch1 and ch2

duane massey

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 11:12:16 PM »

I would strongly suggest not bridging the amp if you are using one amp for 2 cabinets. I assume the cabinets have 2 8-ohm drivers in each, so driving all four woofers with one channel would be a 2-ohm load, not a good idea for a bridged 2450.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

don mcmeckan

• Vancouver Island B.C.
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 12:08:08 AM »

I would strongly suggest not bridging the amp if you are using one amp for 2 cabinets. I assume the cabinets have 2 8-ohm drivers in each, so driving all four woofers with one channel would be a 2-ohm load, not a good idea for a bridged 2450.

Good catch Duane, I assumed he had two amps.

Of course a patch bay would be the best way to go, jump the connectors on the panel ( 1+ to 2+, 1- to2- ).

Don

Michael Webb

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 12:38:28 AM »

Good catch Duane, I assumed he had two amps.

Of course a patch bay would be the best way to go, jump the connectors on the panel ( 1+ to 2+, 1- to2- ).

Don
michael l

Bennett Prescott

• This text is personal!
    • Bennett Prescott Dot Com
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 02:06:19 PM »

Which means the amp sees a 1 ohm load, which it is not rated for, and will limit itself to avoid causing damage to itself (read: considerably less power output than you'd expect).
-- Bennett Prescott
Sales & Operations Director
B&C Speakers NA
Cell: +1 (518) 488-7190

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 03:50:09 PM »

Hoo boy...

I realize that this is a place where a relative newcomer can get advice, but let's step back and look at the situation here.

The original poster has a pair of SB750 subwoofers, and wants to drive them with a single QSC RMX2450.

He can not identify that the subs are wired as two circuits of an NL4.

He does not know how to hook up a power amp in bridged mode.

Even if he DID know how to hook things up properly, he has no idea why hanging four woofers off a single bridged stereo power amp might not by a good idea.

There are just too many things wrong here.

I suggest Mr. Webb go back and learn some basics before doing anything else. Maybe he could start with the owners manual of the QSC RMX2450?

What's his next post going to be?

Maybe it will be about how the SB750 is such a terrible subwoofer, or how easy it if to blow up a QSC RMX2450?

I really am trying to help here.

Honest
Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

Mike Bamber

• Live Sound Hire Ltd
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 03:56:29 PM »

Now I remember a few QSCs outputting channel B on +2 -2 of an NL4.

So maybe the easiest solution is to obtain some 4-core speakon cable, plug it into output A, hit the mono switch, and take it out of bridge mode.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 12:30:27 AM »

Now I remember a few QSCs outputting channel B on +2 -2 of an NL4.

So maybe the easiest solution is to obtain some 4-core speakon cable, plug it into output A, hit the mono switch, and take it out of bridge mode.
Pretty much any QSC amp I have seen in many years has both channels available of the channel 1 NL4 as you describe it. Makes it easy to hook up what he has if only he has 4 wire speakon cables (I note that banjo center only caries the 2 wire variety).
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Michael Webb

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 09:25:08 AM »

Hoo boy...

I realize that this is a place where a relative newcomer can get advice, but let's step back and look at the situation here.

The original poster has a pair of SB750 subwoofers, and wants to drive them with a single QSC RMX2450.

Even if he DID know how to hook things up properly, he has no idea why hanging four woofers off a single bridged stereo power amp might not by a good idea.

I suggest Mr. Webb go back and learn some basics before doing anything else. Maybe he could start with the owners manual of the QSC RMX2450?

Maybe it will be about how the SB750 is such a terrible subwoofer, or how easy it if to blow up a QSC RMX2450?

Honest
     no i have 10 qsc 2450s i run 1 per cab been using jbls and the eaw are wired different got them going and they are a louder box than the jbl buying 4 more thanks for all your support....
michael l

Michael Webb

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 12:44:59 AM »

Hoo boy...

Honest      you need to read again 1 amp per cab bridged wake up....
michael l

Pete Sams

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 08:58:10 AM »

The EAW's are wired in what's called "discreet mode", each woofer uses a different set of pins on the NL4. If you're trying to bridge 1 amp per box then there are several options:

Use a dual banana to NL4 cable: each banana wired to a different set of pins. On the amp end plug one banana end into the back of another (note polarity here) and plug both into the red terminals of the amp.

Use 2 conductor, jumper pins 1 +/- to pins 2 +/- on the speaker end, wire Pins 1+ and 2+ on the amp end

BEST ADVICE: build a patch panel prewired to your amp and use standard NL4 cable.

Ken Barlow

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 03:31:39 PM »

NL4 Two Driver Subs:
pin 2- = negative
pin 2+ = positive
pins 1-/+ = loop through

T
If it wasn't for the long hours and low pay, I would have been out of this business years ago.

Ken Barlow

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 03:35:51 PM »

If you dont care about having the cabinet "STOCK" you could move the + and - 2 wires in line with + and - 1 wires.
T

I did this to my SB 250's. 4 ohm load, works great. Make sure you label the sub if you go this route so no one makes the mistake of trying to jump up to a full range cab from the other NL4.

Best of luck,
KB
If it wasn't for the long hours and low pay, I would have been out of this business years ago.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 03:35:51 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.