ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Christie vs Sanyo vs Eiki equivalents  (Read 12988 times)

Sheldon Gooi

Christie vs Sanyo vs Eiki equivalents
« on: March 16, 2008, 01:08:35 AM »

Was looking at the Christie LCDs and they seem equivalent to their Sanyo / Eiki counterparts. Anyone has had a chance to compare? Is it just a re-badged product, or is it really worth the extra bucks for the Christies?

Ken Freeman

Re: Christie vs Sanyo vs Eiki equivalents
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 01:19:26 AM »

Same Sanyo facory line, three different color boxes....They are identical except for the label.

Ken

Brian K Tennyson, CTS-D

• http://www.visitec.com
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 03:54:19 PM »

Ken Freeman wrote on Sun, 16 March 2008 00:19

Same Sanyo facory line, three different color boxes....They are identical except for the label.

Ken

Mostly true but Christie does its own processing which can make a big difference.
You can't get enough, but enough ain't the test.

Brian Kent Tennyson, CTS-D
Visitec
www.visitec.com

Ken Freeman

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 05:30:26 PM »

I go into them DVI....No difference.  Maybe in the composite inputs.

Ken

Brad Weber

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 07:11:26 PM »

DVI may not be at all relevant to the OP so you probably can't really assume it is.  Beyond that, I think you're oversimplifying it and being built on the same production line doesn't mean the projectors are identical and there are some differences, including the processing and the optics.  I also know some Contractors that prefer to deal with a smaller company focused on this industry rather than with a big company for which commercial projectors is a small part of their business.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Ken Freeman

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 11:59:07 PM »

Oh Please Brad....Don't fall into the trap and start believing your sales guys BS....If you are buying a Christie DLP Projector for its performance (I own them too) then you have something.  If you are getting an LX-1##...Don't fool yourself into thinking its not an XF-4# of the Eiki equal.

Ken

Don Boone

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 08:42:19 PM »

All it takes are different QC standards for the same projectors coming off the same productions lines to be different.

There was an old fable/joke/truth decades ago about Sony CCD chips for cameras. Even though they all came off the same line the best went to Sony Broadcast, the next best to Sony Industrial, then to Sony Consumer and the bottom of the line were sold to Panasonic.

Another possible example is Shure SM58, SM48, PG58.

There is a importer/assembler of Chinese mics (who, I can't recall) that QCs the capsules and sends back something like 98% and builds from the rest. The finished mics are 2-3 times more bucks but much more consistent.

A billion years ago GE who only sold Talaria light(oil?)valve video projectors decided to broaden their market below the $80,000.00+ projectors and started OEMing NEC 3 CRT projectors to get some install market share. While I was at Telaria school I saw some of the first ones to come in. Months later I'm installing the same model NEC projector and one input will not work. We were on the phone to NEC for 2 days and they had no clue what might be the problem. A synapse fires and I call GE tech support. They instantly said the reason the second input won't work is because it's TTL only. NEC did not know this. GE did.

Later I saw the identical NEC and GE models side by side at the famed Infocomm shootout (back when it could be a career changing event, guessing which would be the first to blow, Barco or Ampro) and the GE kicked the NECs ass.

Yes identical can be very different. Don't know if it is in this case.

Don

Sheldon Gooi

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 07:31:33 AM »

So, we're getting mixed signals here. Anyone had a chance to A-B the projectors to compare?
I'll try to get to work on a side-by-side comparison and report back....

Brad Weber

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 12:17:45 PM »

Don makes a great point that is often overlooked, that there is often more to this than the technical aspects.  Even if the devices were absolutely identical in every way, factors such as dealer requirements, tech support, payment terms and so on may not be and those are real factors to be considered in assessing the overall value of any product.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Ken Freeman

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 11:00:01 PM »

Interesting you bring it up...and by the way, I get great service on all three lines...

All three in the same shop: Why Yes....In the LCD line, I have Sanyo, Christie and Eiki projectors in my shop...Same rigging brackets, same lens, same lamp, same case.  Not all the lines carry all the projectors and not all the projectors are the same, but many are....

For Example....This is a popular unit in the R+S market: Sanyo XP-100.

http://www.christiedigital.com/AMEN/Products/christieLX650.h tm

http://www.eiki.com/Products/LC-X80

http://us.sanyo.com/business/projectors/portable/index.cfm?p roductID=1508

Ken

Tim Ward

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 04:03:39 PM »

Hi Ken, and others. I have a Christie LW40 that I need an HD-SDI module for. Would the module for the Sanyo PLV-WF10 equivalent be: #1 compatible (same exact, I suspect), and #2 cheaper?

Thanks,
tim

Ken Freeman

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 10:38:28 AM »

I can ask...

Ken
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.