ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: First REAL Distro  (Read 4740 times)

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

Re: Gone
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 03:08:30 PM »

One of these days I'm going to steal Mac's badge at a trade show.... muhah

"HE ISNT USING HIS (REAL) NAMETAG!!!"

SteveKirby

Re: First REAL Distro
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 05:16:40 PM »

Mark, I think you need to approach this in multiple stages.  One for bars where you are running off of a few Edison outlets,  where you can at get least 50A 220 or when you have full 3 phase on cams.

For the first situation, you aren't using the full rig and all you need is a poor man's distro to tie your grounds together.

For the others, I'd talk to the folks at Motion Labs or the ampshop.com (where I got my distro) and see what kind of set up can be put together that can adapt to either single phase (what you'll get from a range plug or CS connector) or 3 phase.  When you get into 3 phase you need to do your homework to understand exactly what is coming in and what you are going to get on the different legs of your distro.

If you have your own homebrew, you at least must have figured out some of this.

Spend some time considering what kind in interconnections you want between things.  Are you going to run two circuits down stringers with 4 wire cable?  Do you want all the 120 cabling to be on Edisons so you can use it anywhere?  Or something like L5-20's or PowerCons which won't plug into anything but your system.  What do folks around you use?  What are the hotels/convention center/fairgrounds using?  With all those powered cabinets it doesn't sound like you need 30 amp power connectors for big amps, or 50A rackpacs to feed amp racks.  Consider how you will wire up things to your poor man's distro so that you can use the same cables when you have to hook up more to the big rack.

Greg Cameron

• http://www.cameronproaudio.com
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 09:05:17 PM »

Peavey Ad Copy reads:

Summer NAMM: Peavey Distro™ Solves Sound Reinforcement Power Needs

Too bad it doesn't solve who's going to do the tie-in Wink

Greg
Cameron Pro Audio.

"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

SteveKirby

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 09:58:32 PM »

Greg Cameron wrote on Wed, 05 March 2008 20:05

Peavey Ad Copy reads:

Summer NAMM: Peavey Distro™ Solves Sound Reinforcement Power Needs

Too bad it doesn't solve who's going to do the tie-in Wink

Greg

Or if anyone is going to let you.  As in the hotel power thread, folks are getting more and more uppity about power drops.  They are going to give you their distro or wall sockets.  And may charge you for either.  I asked this hotel about their opening up the box so I could hook up my tails (see the picture of their bare wires coming out a knock out) and they refused.

I was shocked, well not shocked, but very supprised when we went out to the Merced County Fairgrounds last month and they told me "there's the box on the wall, we won't touch it, but you can do whatever you want".

How often do folks run into venues letting them tie in these days?

Don Lanier

• http://www.pearlproaudio.com
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 04:46:12 AM »

The BIG ISSUE of Whose doing the Tie In is a real quandry, especially in the larger citys and venues. This must be done by a qualified Licensed electrician. In many bars they have no idea what the guy is doing back there and many times its simply done without consent. There are things to worry about here and LIABILTY that could cause you to lose your freedom or life.

The Peavey distro is made for small combos and primarily they would get the mating plug and find an outlet or if there lucky get the club owner to install the outlet, "TO CODE"
How many of you guys used the big copper roach clips to tie in above the breakers in boxes, or for years used welding cable or whatever you could get to tie in your Dryer disconnect.

What alot of us have taken for granted for years and done without permission or without the owners having any clue what your doing is now more regulated, especially after the Rhode Island fire many fire marshalls, Towns, Citys sent out bulletins about these types of things and how and when it should be done and by who. I went YEARS without anyone looking at my distros and in the last 2 years Ive been inspected 15 times or more.

Bottom Line, Poor Mans distro may not meet the NEC Rulebook for Portable Power Distribution devices, your wire, your plugs, your box, etc is all subject to inspection and CODE REGULATION. If its improperly done and causes an issue, FIRE, or worse you can be LIABLE and thats something I just dont want anyone to take lightly.
Don Lanier
Pearl Productions
http://www.pearlproaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 04:46:12 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.