ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Britain is Repossessing the U.S.A.  (Read 17064 times)

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
Re: Britain is Repossessing the U.S.A.
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 03:18:28 PM »

Mike Butler (media) wrote on Fri, 15 February 2008 11:00

.... to say nothing of ball parks and concerts, is still preponderantly the beechwood-aged king of rice beers.

But not here:

index.php/fa/14253/0/

For a mere $9 each you can have 12 to 14 ounces of over 20 real ales and beers (I can't quite remember.. where's my seat?)
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 03:34:22 PM »

Mike Butler (media) wrote on Fri, 15 February 2008 13:00

Having toured the backwoods breweries and brewpubs of Vermont, I can attest to the fact that there are some folks in this country who can make a tasty brew (in addition to Anchor Steam, Sierra Nevada, Shipyard, Harpoon, etc.). Of course, what's served at NASCAR tracks, to say nothing of ball parks and concerts, is still preponderantly the beechwood-aged king of rice beers.

But last year Heineken was named Wal-Mart's Alcoholic Beverage Supplier of the Year (yes, there is such an award), which would suggest that imports of one type or another are making inroads of some magnitude, and increasing numbers of consumers are now thinking outside the  Clydesdale horse-drawn cart.

Hiene used to have some attraction for being widely available around the world so you don't have take your chances with local fare, but Guinness is pretty findable, at least in the former colonies.

I think the Germans are a little too proud of their Bier, purity laws and all that yadda yadda.. Bittburger is barely better than Bud, and by that I mean our rice soup not the real Bud they borrowed the name from.  Rice has a higher use in proper Saki.

I've never been a big fan of Steam beer (Lager fermented at warm temperatures). It may have been the only game in town for the gold miners without refrigeration, but there's a reason beers are cold lagered, it tastes better.

But I'm no lager lout... been brewing ales for 20 years and would buy beer if I could match the quality of my personal efforts... Beer is a little like baking fresh bread, but wetter... and gives you a buzz.

Cheers...
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

A Man

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 04:05:36 PM »

Andy Peters wrote on Fri, 15 February 2008 14:01

Mike Butler (media) wrote on Fri, 15 February 2008 12:00

But last year Heineken was named Wal-Mart's Alcoholic Beverage Supplier of the Year (yes, there is such an award), which would suggest that imports of one type or another are making inroads of some magnitude, and increasing numbers of consumers are now thinking outside the  Clydesdale horse-drawn cart.

Heineken is formaldehyde.

It preserves the bodies of the Wal-Mart customers.

That shit is undrinkable.

-a

American Heineken is formaldehyde.

There is something to be said about sitting at one of those little cafes in the Centrum (city square) of Amsterdam sipping on a freshly poured Dutch Heiniken and people watching.  Cool

Jamie Taylor

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 04:10:15 PM »

Jon Martin wrote on Sat, 16 February 2008 07:05

American Heineken is formaldehyde.

There is something to be said about sitting at one of those little cafes in the Centrum (city square) of Amsterdam sipping on a freshly poured Dutch Heiniken and people watching.  Cool

Quoted for truth.

They used to brew heineken in Malaysia (for the Australian Market) but recently we've been getting the imported brew from Holland.

My only peeve about drinking it in holland is that in order to have it cold, you've got to shell out extra money for 'Heineken Extra Cold'...Which means I'm paying extra money to drink it like we do here.
Australian Event Productions

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

<a href="http://www.australianeventproductions.com" target="_blank">AEP.com</a>

Asian Representatives for <a href="http://www.adraudio.com" target="_blank"> ADRaudio Loudspeakers</a>

Ian Hunt

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 04:20:23 PM »

How come the US Guinness is so much sweeter than the Irish variety, are the local palates really that different?
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 06:32:12 PM »

Ian Hunt wrote on Fri, 15 February 2008 15:20

How come the US Guinness is so much sweeter than the Irish variety, are the local palates really that different?

The US beer palate is hard to pin down.. In the mass market it appears to favor rather thin pilsner types... The rising microbrew industry has gravitated toward a highly  hopped "smack em in the mouth" to get their attention flavor profile (similar to IPAs). While Sam Adams brags on TV about how much hops they use, there is currently a domestic shortage of hops. I don't know if this is an accelerating taste trend, hop fields planted over with corn for ethanol, or a manipulation by big brewers to screw with the small guys. Of course if the big guys started using even slightly more hops, that would have a huge impact on current supply/demand.

I have no idea on difference between US Guinness and milk from the mother teat. Sitting in the hold of a boat will not make it less dry, more so if anything. My total experience with Guinness has been in countries other than Eire, and I find variability even just here in the US. There is also more than one version of Guinness stout available in this market. The draft is a weaker lower alcohol variant from the bottled, and cans with the gizmo seem to have yet another slightly different taste. They are generally more similar than different, while not as similar as bud is to bud (I would expect), despite claims about water where brewed, etc.

JR.

-----

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 07:26:08 PM »

John Roberts  {JR} wrote on Fri, 15 February 2008 15:32

Sitting in the hold of a boat will not make it less dry, more so if anything.  

Some of the "better" places out here brag that the kegs are flown in. No real evidence of course.  

- I never noticed more sweetness over here in the nitro-kegged version. Could be, but my palette memory is not that good.
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Riley Casey

• http://www.ESPsound.com
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 08:09:08 PM »

The first time this little screed made the rounds I think it was Maggie Thatcher that was going to be our PM and it arrived via fax, not internet.  Still bloody funny though.

Randy Pence

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 10:01:49 PM »

John Roberts  {JR} wrote on Fri, 15 February 2008 21:34

I think the Germans are a little too proud of their Bier, purity laws and all that yadda yadda.. Bittburger is barely better than Bud, and by that I mean our rice soup not the real Bud they borrowed the name from.  Rice has a higher use in proper Saki.

I'm not the biggest fan of pilsner type beers in general, but you can't possibly compare even bittburger to american bud!  Anyhow, I can't imagine a summer gig without a hefeweizen in a tall glass. Smile

About VW, I don't drive, but none of the germans i know enjoy their cars either!  Riding in an audi, bmw, or mercedes is certainly nice, however.  The old mercedes vans seem to run forever.

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2008, 10:36:06 PM »

Randy Pence wrote on Fri, 15 February 2008 21:01

I'm not the biggest fan of pilsner type beers in general, but you can't possibly compare even bittburger to american bud!  Anyhow, I can't imagine a summer gig without a hefeweizen in a tall glass. Smile

About VW, I don't drive, but none of the germans i know enjoy their cars either!  Riding in an audi, bmw, or mercedes is certainly nice, however.  The old mercedes vans seem to run forever.

Bitte ein Bit... Razz

I was never a fan of weise bier, heffe, dunkel, or whatever, since I was always in Germany during the winter for that mess(e) in frankfurt. I did have an opportunity to properly sample a wheat beer in the heat of summer at a a make believe german brauhaus in Atlanta one 4th of july after running a Peachtree 10k. While I'm not your basic fruit in beer kind of guy, or even beer that light passes through, but that heffe with a slice of lemon, hit the spot, several times.

JR

-----
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 17 queries.